Vegetable skewers roasted in the oven and glazed with honey barbeque sauce. These Honey BBQ Vegetable Skewers are perfect for Memorial Day weekend.
Hi again! This is Andrea from Cooking with a Wallflower, and this month I’m back to share with you a recipe that’s perfect for serving during Memorial Day weekend. If your menu plans aren’t set yet, you should definitely consider putting these easy to make skewers on it.
I know not everyone has a grill. If you live in a big city like I do, sometimes there’s just not enough space for an outdoor grill, even though we really really want one. But there’s no reason why we can’t enjoy the outdoor festivities. We can totally have our skewers even without a grill. These skewers are super easy to make and requires almost no work. Which sounds perfect to me, especially if you’re feeding a large group of family and friends.
I used different vegetables to make my skewers. To prep, I cut oyster mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers, and zucchinis into chunky slices. You want your vegetables to be thick because once they’re cooked, they will shrink. You can do all your prepping beforehand so that you don’t have to worry about slicing once your guests arrive. I only used vegetables for my skewers, but you can definitely substitute with meat too. Shrimp, chicken, and pork are great options for these skewers too.
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Soak the wooden skewers in water for about 5 minutes. You want the skewers to be wet so that it doesn’t become burnt.
Thread your ingredients onto the skewers. Pack as much as you want per skewer. I liked switching vegetables so that the colors alternate. It looks sooo much nicer that way.
Place the skewers on the baking sheet and drizzle olive oil over the vegetables. You want them to still retain some of its moisture.
Roast them for about 15 minutes until the vegetables appear slightly charred and have softened. Brush your favorite barbeque sauce over the vegetables and roast them for an additional 3-5 minutes.
Serve the skewers warm.
Check out more of Andrea’s amazing recipes on her blog Cooking With a Wallflower.
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 large oyster mushroom, sliced
- ½ small onion, sliced
- 1 small or ½ large red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ cup honey BBQ sauce, or your favorite BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Soak 6-8 skewers in water for about 5 minutes.
- Thread the sliced vegetables into the skewers, alternating vegetables to vary the colors.
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil.
- Place the skewers onto the baking sheet. Roast the vegetables at 400F for about 15 minutes until the vegetables have softened and appear slightly charred.
- Brush the honey BBQ sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce over the vegetables, and place them back into the oven to roast for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the veggies to cool down for a few minutes.
- Serve the skewers warm.