8 TBS butter (1 stick)
2 cups breadcrumbs
1lb elbow macaroni
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
6 TBS all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups colby cheese, shredded
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat oven to 400 degrees.1. Melt 2 TBS of the butter and toss with the breadcrumbs.
2. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot for the macaroni. Stir in 1 TBS salt and the macaroni and cook until almost tender. Drain the macaroni and leave it in the colander.
3. Wipe the pot dry, add the remaining 6 TBS butter, and melt over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, mustard and cayenne. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk and broth. Bring to a simmer. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 6 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cheeses until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the drained macaroni, breaking up any clumps, until well combined.
6. Pour into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and bubbling around the edges, about 20 minutes.