“I really struggle keeping my counter tops clean and now that I am a stay at home mom it is driving me CRAZY!!! Any tips or products that could help or does this just mean I make a lot of messes???”
I think kitchen counters in general have a hard time staying clean in every home. The trend these days is to have a large bar area where people can congregate or where the family can share meals. However bars are really only used for these things 10% of the time and end up being the “collect all” surface the other 90% of the time!
I was recently watching Peter Walsh (my organizing hero) on Oprah and he made a point that I think everyone should have ingrained into their minds. He said, “Always keep the flat surfaces clean, because as soon as you give up on a flat surface — whether it be the floor, the tables, the kitchen counter — the moment it’s not clear, it becomes clutter.”
I think this is SUCH a good point! I find that so true in my own home because as soon as I start a small pile on the counter it begins to multiply, but if I take just a few minutes and clean up the very 1st paper in the pile then it never becomes a pile.
My general rule is ONE THING. You are allowed to have one thing on the counter. For me usually it’s my “To Do” list for the day, my cell phone or my grocery list (if I’m going grocery shopping that morning–if I don’t set it out I forget it). I think setting a goal for yourself is important because then you have something to strive for.
What is it that is collecting on your counter? Is it the mail? If so then maybe you need to decide on a designated mail spot in your home. Toni over at A Bowl full of Lemons recently blogged about some great ways to organize your mail.
Whatever it is that’s collecting there you need to create a space for it or toss it. Nobody wants to walk into their home and see a bunch of stuff laying on the counter so challenge yourself to figure out where it belongs or toss it in the garbage!